Author Topic: NullPointerException, starting Tomcat v6.0 Server with MaintainJ at localhost  (Read 12699 times)

merlinmost

Hy, I was following this totorial

http://maintainj.com/userGuide.jsp?param=j2eeLauncherDemo

and got stuck at page 8 (starting the server)

An internal error occurred during: "Starting Tomcat v6.0 Server with MaintainJ at localhost".
java.lang.NullPointerException

when trying to launch Tomcat v6.0 Server with MaintainJ at localhost in order to
trace a dynamic web project.

.metadata/.log.txt

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2012-02-07 18:53:30.836
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Starting Tomcat v6.0 Server with MaintainJ at localhost".
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.maintainj.launching.core.MaintainJLaunchHelper.getClasspath(MaintainJLaunchHelper.java:393)
   at com.maintainj.jst.server.tomcat.ui.MaintainJTomcatLaunchDelegate.getClasspath(MaintainJTomcatLaunchDelegate.java:83)
   at org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.internal.TomcatLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(TomcatLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:69)
   at com.maintainj.jst.server.tomcat.ui.MaintainJTomcatLaunchDelegate.launch(MaintainJTomcatLaunchDelegate.java:78)
   at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:854)
   at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:703)
   at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:696)
   at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.startImpl2(Server.java:3402)
   at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.startImpl(Server.java:3340)
   at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$StartJob.run(Server.java:363)
   at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

ENVIRONMENT

Win 7 Pro 64

SpringSource Tool Suite
Version: 2.8.1.RELEASE
Build Id: 201111221000

MaintainJ Feature   3.5.0   com.maintainj.feature.feature.group   MaintainJ Inc.
MaintainJ J2EE Server Feature   3.5.0   com.maintainj.server.feature.feature.group   MaintainJ Inc.

apache-tomcat-6.0.35 (included as a runtime environment)

PS! Same error occured in Eclipse 3.7.1 using MaintainJ 3.3.0

PS2! At first when i imported MaintainJ.war to eclipse, there were several libraries
missing (for instance com.maintainj.aspect.JoinPointMap). Adding .jar's manually from WebContent fixed that.

Choudary Kothapalli

• Administrator
    • Email
1. Please ignore the compilation errors in MaintainJ.war. The JoinPointMap class will be added to the server classpath and it will work fine at runtime.

2. Could you tell me the JRE version and the vendor (Sun JRE?) you are using? Currently MaintainJ supports only up to JRE 1.6. JRE 1.7 could lead to this exception.

Thanks,
Choudary.

Choudary Kothapalli

• Administrator
    • Email
I am able to reproduce the error using Jdk 1.7. I'll upgrade the MaintainJ.war to work with JRE 1.7 and let you know.

Thanks,
Choudary Kothapalli.

merlinmost

you were right, i totally missed, that tomcat6 was using jre7. everything worked after i ported my application to jre6. wasted a whole day on such a simple mistake.

yes, adding jre7 support to MaintainJ.war would be useful.

thank you for your time.

Choudary Kothapalli

• Administrator
    • Email
The new MaintainJ V3.6 released today supports JRE 1.7.

--Choudary.